The MCAST Energy within the Institute of Engineering and Transport is looking for highly motivated and creative Postdoctoral Research Fellow(s) in the fields of Electrical and Control Engineering, Electrical Power and Energy Systems, Integration of Photovoltaics (PVs) and Energy and Environmental Economics, who aspire to jointly and multidisciplinary address the range of research themes below with Mediterranean or Maltese attributes:
1. Focused PV integration technical solutions: Flexible technologies such as energy storage
2. Focused PV integration technical solutions: Smart-grid structures and tools including micro-grids
3. Future Electricity Markets with PVs: European regulatory framework and market design
4. Future Electricity Markets with PVs: Smart grids and ancillary services, and PV markets, forecasts and trends
5. Energy-Water Nexus, focus on PVs: Water to balance energy
6. Fusion of emerging PV technology development: Upscaling of emerging technology and On-site testing of devices
7. Driving habits and islands drive cycles
8. Electric vehicles integration considering distributed energy sources
9. Multi-modal full electric mobility
10. Market strategies and tourism in electric mobility
11. Examining Transport Energy Pathways in the Mediterranean
We offer a 2 year-term gross annual salary full-time package starting from € 30,100.
The Postdoctoral Research Fellow(s) will work in a truly international and with the world-leading group of researchers which will provide them with an excellent basis and a strong network for a future career in the field of Electrical Power and Energy Systems and Energy and Environmental Economics, in academia and research centres, the industry as well as governance.
Postdoctoral Research Fellow(s) will also enjoy some of the best mobility, training activities and resources within The University of Manchester in UK, The French Alternative Energies and Atomic Energy Commission (CEA) in France, National Renewable Energy Centre (CENER) in Spain, The AIT Austrian Institute of Technology and ANEL Nicosia Development Agency in Cyprus as well as other partner institutions in exchange visits, internships, mentoring, schools, courses, lectures, conferences and meetings.
These positions are being funded by the European Commission H2020 TWINNING NEEMO (Networking for Excellence in Electric Mobility Operations) project under grant 857484 and JUMP2Excel (Joint Universal activities for Mediterranean PV integration Excellence) project under grant 810809, and the Malta Council for Science and Technology (MCST) 3DMgrid (Design, Development and Demonstration of a Smart Micro-Grid) project under grant ENM-2016-002a and EDGEWISE (Energy and Water Systems Integration and Management) project under grant ENM-2016-001 through the ERANETMED initiative of Member States, Associated Countries and Mediterranean Partner Countries.
- A strong MQF Level 6 and/or MQF Level 7 qualifications or MQF Level 7 qualification in the subject area of Engineering preferably with a specialisation in Electrical and Control Engineering.
- A MQF Level 8 PhD/EngD qualification and/or PhD/EngD candidature that will defend Thesis by February 2020 in the related subject area as per research themes.
- Hardware and software development preferably in relation to electrical engineering and proficiency in C/C++ and python.
- At least one publication in relevant journal publication in the related subject area as per research themes.
- Related academic/research experience and/or work experience would be considered an asset.
- Preference will be given to candidates showing research-based initiatives within their career profile.
Postdoctoral Research Fellow Gross Salary: €30,100 annually
Type of Contract: 2 year definite, renewable.
Vacancies will be filled if, and when openings become available. Successful candidates will be called to fill existing vacancies in accordance with the order of merit.
Interested candidates are invited to apply at http://jobs.mcast.edu.mt and submit in English:
- a covering letter,
- a 1,000 to 1,500 words research plan highlighting the interrelation of the research theme with Maltese or Regional attributes,
- an updated Curriculum Vitae on the Europass CV Template https://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/,
- copies of all academic and professional certificates,
- copies of all full paper publications in journals,
- recognition statement/receipt of an application by Malta Qualifications Recognition Information Centre (MQRIC) for all certificates by applying to https://ncfhe.gov.mt/en/services/Pages/All%20Services/mqric.aspx (applicable to all qualifications awarded by foreign or local institutions excluding the University of Malta and the Malta College of Arts, Science and Technology (MCAST))
- two referee contacts, and
- a copy of full-passport (applicable to non-EU candidates).
Additional submission fields are available in the certificates section. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Applications are to be received by the closing date on this advert. Please refer any enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org